- Crowdsourcing Surveillance
- Guards, Dogs and Technology
- RFID and Physical Security
- Bomb Threats: An Effective Denial-of-Service Attack
- Convergence: The Next Horizon in Security
- Eyes for Security
- Smoke Screen to the Rescue
- Full Body Scanners: What’s Next?
- New Look at Security Systems!
- System Integrations
- View All
Convergence: The Next Horizon in Security
Protecting the Perimeter in the Age of Convergence
The Virtual Perimeter in the Age of Convergence
Security is essentially the ancient art of protecting the perimeter. Sometimes ancient, and even recent-day, technologies cannot adequately protect the actual exterior perimeter. For such instances, we recommend establishing a virtual perimeter inside the exterior one. This virtual perimeter is created by delineating a line of pixels in the image of one or more digital cameras. This line of pixels can form the interior, virtual perimeter. The cameras feed the video signal to a server performing analysis of the video images. The server is looking for specific objects in the images that have certain attributes associated with humans, such as a neck and shoulders. When such objects appear near the virtual perimeter and approach that perimeter, the server issues an alert to the security force. A guard carries a handheld device